I like to close each month with a Close-up—a chance to hear your thoughts on a topic that's been rolling around in my head while researching the blog. I find myself asking this question more and more as I work on bushnstache. If my interest were simply the male nude, contemporary photography would give me endless material. Yet I keep returning to images made fifty, seventy-five, or even one hundred years ago.
Why?
Part of it is certainly the photography itself. Part is the history. But I suspect there's something deeper. These images were created in a world where desire often had to be coded, where beauty and shame could exist in the same photograph, and where the simple act of looking carried a different weight than it does today.
When I visit other vintage physique blogs, I notice everyone has their own preferences. Some love the earliest academic studies. Others prefer the polished physique era of Mizer or Bellas. Some gravitate toward candid military snapshots or amateur photography. Others are drawn to overtly erotic work. There seems to be no single reason we're all here.
So I'm curious...
What draws you to vintage male photography?
Is it the history?
The artistry?
The models?
The photographers?
The mystery?
The forbidden quality?
The nostalgia?
Something else entirely?
Or do you actually prefer contemporary work and simply enjoy looking back?
I'd love to hear what keeps bringing you back.


No comments:
Post a Comment