Every time I come across Bruce Bellas's photographs of John Leist, I find myself pausing for another look. Photographed near Palm Springs in 1951, Leist has one of the most beautifully proportioned physiques in Bellas's catalog, yet he somehow feels completely approachable—more like the friendly neighbor or local football coach than an untouchable Adonis.
There's something quietly classical about him. His balanced physique, uncut anatomy, and natural confidence remind me less of a bodybuilder than of an ancient Greek athlete. I find echoes of Michelangelo's David or Rodin's The Age of Bronze—not because he resembles either sculpture exactly, but because his body feels so harmonious and complete.
Bellas photographed Leist throughout the desert landscape, leaning against granite boulders, posing with sticks, and even wearing what appears to be a towel wrapped around his head to shield his balding scalp from the sun. It's an oddly endearing detail that only adds to his appeal. For me, John Leist perfectly balances the extraordinary with the familiar—a remarkable physique that still feels wonderfully human.
Please leave thoughts, questions, additions or corrections in the comments. Thank you, bns







Nice grouping of John Leist. I think the last photo, rear shot with arm up in flexion is of Bob Poling. Check other rear shot of Leist and compare the musculature, tan line and hairline at nape of neck.
ReplyDeleteThank you. It was attributed to Leist, but also had my doubts. I’ll correct. bns
DeleteGreat series on a model who deserves the attention.
ReplyDeleteCan you please post a working link to Danny's blog?
DeleteHappy to: https://bsky.app/profile/d-a-n-n-n-y.bsky.social bns
DeleteThanks!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteRêve du Mojave.
ReplyDeleteUn mirage dans le désert tel que le voit le délirant :)
Les photographies en extérieur plein air de Bruce Bellas sont du même niveau que celles de Clifford Oettinger et de Don Whitman.
-Beau Mec à Deauville