Paul Outerbridge Jr. (1896–1958) wasn't a male physique photographer, but I think he's too important to skip. As I've explored the history behind our shared interest in vintage male nudity, I've become increasingly fascinated by the artists working alongside it.
I see clear parallels in their shared fascination with glamour, theatricality, the nude, and the constant struggle to defend those subjects against censorship. I also see some striking homoerotic themes in his work, but of course, that is my bias--and I'm proud of it.
Best known as a pioneer of color photography, Outerbridge produced elegant still lifes, fashion photography, and erotic nudes that challenged what photography could be. He believed the nude belonged in art, not behind closed doors, and argued that censorship often created the very obscenity it claimed to prevent.
Outerbridge moved in the same artistic circles as Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp, and Edward Steichen, pushing photography toward something more stylized, theatrical, and unapologetically beautiful. Those qualities are exactly what draw me to physique photography as well. Whether the subject is male or female, I see artists asking the same questions: Can the nude be both erotic and art? Where is that line? Who gets to decide?
I only wish Outerbridge had photographed more men. Judging by the sensuality, precision, and glamour he brought to his female nudes, I suspect they would have been remarkable.











Very nice photographs and observations.
ReplyDeleteThank you. bns
DeleteFascinating and well composed series! I am quite intrigued by Mr. Outerbridge.
ReplyDeleteThank you. A bit left field, but worth a mention. bns
DeleteIntriguing post with unknown photographers to me. Photo #5 lighting screams "the theatre, darling!"
ReplyDeleteI get that, in the spotlight. 😂bns
Delete