Pillars often appear alongside columns, but they serve a slightly different visual purpose. Rather than referencing a specific classical order, they more often function as framing devices. Physique photographers frequently positioned a model between two cylindrical pillars, creating symmetry while drawing the eye directly to the figure.
Many of these "marble" pillars were almost certainly lightweight studio props finished with painted or laminated faux-marble surfaces (trompe-l'œil, or "trick the eye"). Their job wasn't structural—it was theatrical. They gave modest studios the appearance of grand halls, temples, or palaces, elevating an ordinary posing session into something timeless.
Like columns, pillars borrowed the visual authority of classical architecture. But here the architecture often recedes, leaving the model to become the true support at the center of the composition.
Please leave thoughts, questions, corrections or additions in the comments. Thank you, bns








Pic #4 is amazing. The pillar brings out every fiber and muscle on the model’s back. XG
ReplyDeleteYeah it’s a great composition. If you happen to know the models name, let me know. bns
DeleteThe same photo #4 is in my file of Douglas of Detroit labeled as Fraysure Ferguson. I couldn't find a reference for the other name "Sam Adams".
ReplyDeleteGreat! Thank for this! bns
DeleteThe name I have is Fraysher Ferguson, as this is how it is spelt on a similarly posed rear shot, as 'Photo of the Month' in a magazine (the name of which is unknown to me). It credits Fraysher as being Co-Director of Apollo Health Studio, Columbus Ohio.
DeleteRecently found this group and have loved what you post. Always a great selection of models. I question number 7 from today. I have the photo listed as the Ritter brothers being the photographers and the models unknown. Biggest clue - Ritter brothers are uncircumcised.
ReplyDeleteJust updated. You were absolutely correct! Thank you again! bns
DeleteThank you, B.B. feedback is much appreciated. I think you are right. I’ll dig further and update asap. Please follow my blog if you haven’t already. Thank you, bns. (btw I sign ‘bns’ when responding by phone…short for bushnstache)👋🏼
ReplyDeletePiliers, symboles de force.
ReplyDeleteBel homme Al Borge, de telles lignes de bronzage. Son image aurait dû être réalisée en couleur.
Le physique de Fraysure Ferguson me rappelle Keith Stephen.
Le divin blondinet Heidtmann, très callipyge :)
Bel jeune homme Arnie Payne et son physique magnifique !
John Manning, un garnement insatiable :)
-Beau Mec à Deauville
Arnie Payne photo by Bob Mizer.
ReplyDeleteFrom a photo set done at the house used in the 1950 film Sunset Boulevard.
Gryf
Wie Samson im Tempel (“)
ReplyDelete