Yesterday's surfboards took us to the beach just as summer was slipping away, so I'm staying there a little longer. This time I'm interested in something much less glamorous but nearly impossible to avoid in physique photography: the towel. Once you start looking for them, they're everywhere.
At the beach, at least, the towel makes perfect sense. It keeps a naked body off hot sand, sharp pebbles and whatever else is underneath, provides a place to stretch out in the sun, and dries us off before getting dressed. It's practical, portable and already associated with leisure, vacations and tanning. The nude beach simply makes the fantasy believable.
But photographers also discovered that a towel makes a remarkably useful piece of equipment. Spread it out and suddenly the model has somewhere to sit, kneel, recline or roll over—especially helpful when he's naked and probably covered in tanning oil. No furniture required.
Sometimes it's barely doing anything at all. It's simply there beneath the model, almost disappearing into the photograph. That's part of what fascinates me. Towels are the Where's Waldo of physique photography. Once you notice them, you start seeing them everywhere.
Please leave thoughts, questions, corrections or additions in the comments. I am particularly interested in info about the models. Thank you, bns









I love towels. The first porno I ever saw had a sex scene on a towel on the beach and these pics remind me of how much fun one can have on a towel. XG
ReplyDeleteI find nostalgia in everything on this blog…one of the best parts of vintage photos in my book😉bns
Delete