I've been looking at photographs by Royale and Hussar Studios for years without realizing they were connected to the same man: Basil Clavering (1910-1973). Apparently, I have some catching up to do.
*Photographs attributed to Basil Clavering and the Royale/Hussar studio circle, primarily 1950s–early 1960s.
Clavering was a successful London cinema businessman who, along with his friend and fellow Navy veteran John Charles Parkhurst (1927–2000), established Royale Studio in the basement of his Pimlico home during the 1950s. Their partnership eventually produced several related studio identities, including Dolphin and Hussar, with Parkhurst later taking charge of Dolphin. Together, they helped create one of the more imaginative corners of Britain's underground physique photography scene.
What fascinates me is the range of his work. Some photographs could sit comfortably alongside the classic physique studies of Russ Warner or Bruce Bellas. Others remind me of Bob Mizer, Chuck Renslow's Kris Studios, or even the sculptural elegance of Horst P. Horst. Then come the sailors, soldiers, leather men, whips and staged confrontations. It's practically a casting call for Tom of Finland, whom Clavering actually knew and whose drawings were commissioned by Hussar.
Clavering and Parkhurst also created what they called storyettes, little photographic dramas in which men acted out scenes of military discipline, wrestling, punishment and other masculine encounters. I find that especially interesting because these weren't simply men posing for the camera. They were playing characters, sometimes in their own authentic uniforms.
There's something wonderful about a man who spent his professional life in the cinema and then went home to create these miniature productions in his basement.
Despite how widely his photographs circulate today, Clavering himself remains something of a mystery to me. I've yet to find a photograph of his face. But his work is everywhere, and I'm only now beginning to recognize just how much of it belongs to him and his collaborators.
Please leave thoughts, questions, additions or corrections in the comments. Thank you, bns













No comments:
Post a Comment