Monday, July 20, 2026

Quaintance' Models - Part 2 - Rossi

Another important Quaintance model was Zaro Rossi, whose image appeared in several of the artist's paintings before crossing into physique photography through Dave Martin.



1. Zaro Rossi by Dave Martin c 1950s



2. Rossi reference photos by George Quaintance



3. Sunset and Sunrise by Quaintance - 1953 - all figures said to be based on Rossi.


4. Rossi in white pants standing and reaching up with one arm by Quaintance



5. Rossi in white pants sitting by Quaintance.



Some accounts credit Rossi with helping preserve George Quaintance's photographs after the artist's death. Other sources describe a more complicated story, alleging that several former models removed photographs and negatives from the studio—possibly to protect their own reputations. The full circumstances remain unclear.



6. Rossi in nature under shade by Dave Martin




7. Rossi in nature under sun by Dave Martin.


The more examples I find, the less these histories feel separate. Painters borrowed from photographers, photographers borrowed from sculptors, painters and sculptors also photographed their own subjects, and the models themselves often became the thread tying everything together. I have a feeling this series is only getting started and I'm here for it.


8. Rossi and bush by Dave Martin.




9. Rossi in bathtub - file labeled "Hero Image"




10. Rossi in posing strap.


Please leave thoughts, questions,  corrections or additions in comments. Thank you. bns

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering about the spelling...perhaps Quaintence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my sources spell his last name ending in ‘ance’ so I’ll stick with that for now. But, if I learn otherwise I’ll be sure to update. I appreciate you helping me get it right. bns

      Delete
  2. White pants and big bulges go so well together. XG

    ReplyDelete

Quaintance' Models - Part 2 - Rossi

Another important Quaintance model was Zaro Rossi , whose image appeared in several of the artist's paintings before crossing into phys...