Sunday, August 9, 2026

Blondes

Blonde men have been eroticized plenty, too. Colt models Devlin, Tab, Dakota, and Ralston Hale carry that fantasy forward, while earlier physique models Scott Manley, John Hamill, and George Rugg remind us it certainly didn't begin with modern gay porn.


1. Devlin by Jim French - Colt - who one website called a "muscular surfer stud."




2. Tab or Taber. The photo was captured in 1975 as part of a classic outdoor sunbathing series typical of Jim French's mid-1970s physique and adult erotica photography, which frequently utilized sun-drenched, rustic outdoor settings, classic denim, and relaxed athletic imagery.


Gay porn even gave us the enduring stereotype of the “blonde bottom”—a sexual fantasy with no particular relationship to what actual blonde men prefer to do in bed. Natural blonde itself ranges from nearly white through gold, honey, and darker ash tones.


3. Tab deserves another photo. Here's his backside in an indoor shot with the iconic red shirt Jim French poses many of his models in. Not going to deny I find this model gorgeous;p





4. Dakota aka Ken Sprague - Colt (Jim French) - 1973 - This classic Colt Studio photograph from around 1973 was shot by Jim French. Dakota was an influential entrepreneur who bought Gold's Gym in 1972, popularized modern bodybuilding, and promoted the 1975 Mr. Olympia contest featured in the documentary Pumping Iron.




5. Ralston Hale by Jim French - 1985 -, Hale was heavily showcased in Colt's specialized themed publications like Spurs Magazine Number 13: Presenting Blonds!.


Sometimes everything matches; other times blonde hair is set off by darker eyebrows, facial hair, or pubes. Light blue or green eyes can complete the familiar Nordic fantasy, while brown eyes create a beautiful contrast—and occasionally make me wonder whether a bleach bottle was involved.


6. Scott Manley by Walter Kundzicz aka Champion Studios - 1960s. Manley was famously recruited into the industry alongside his best friend, state wrestling champion Rod Bauer.




7. Bill Pallus by Bob Mizer aka A.M.G. Studios - 1962.




8. John Hamill by British photographer, John S. Barrington, (who often published under the pseudonym John Paignton) - 1966. Hamill was London-born model John Hamill before he transitioned into a successful acting career starring in cult British films like Trog (1970) and Tower of Evil (1972).


By the 1980s, of course, the bleach bottle made blonde available to everyone, often paired with a deep tan and conspicuous tan lines. I've mostly kept those guys out of this set. These are the blondes who at least have me convinced.


9. Larry Steiner aka Ward Heath by Douglas Juleff (Douglas of Detroit) - 1953. Juleff's career was tragically cut short by a notorious mid-century censorship raid by Detroit police and the FBI in 1957. Many of Juleff's original prints and negatives were confiscated and destroyed in this censorship "crack-down," which ruined his career and had negative impacts on many of his models.




10. George Rugg by Bob Mizer - 1959 - for Body Beautiful Magazine. Mizer was known for using high-contrast overhead key light and low camera angles to emphasize the male physique.


Please add any thoughts, questions, corrections or additions in the comments. I appreciate you tuning in and hope you are getting something out of my posts. It's been fun researching this history and I'm learning a lot from my viewers. Thank you, bns

10 comments:

  1. Devlin by Jim French could be mistaken for a young Marlon Brando. XG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great observation! I can see it in the eyes and the attitude. bns

      Delete
  2. Dakota aka Ken Sprague reminds me so much of my man 😈. XG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re a lucky man. Email me his photo to bushnstache@gmail.com. I’d like to see for myself. bns

      Delete
  3. It's hard to find truly blond pubes, which are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s definitely rare, but I’ve seen it. I had two Hungarian brothers with blonde bushes…also blonde eye brows and facial hair. Not common. bns

      Delete
    2. *I knew 2 Hungarian brothers. They weren’t my brothers 😉bns

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered if Scott Manley was his real name, but either way, Walter Kundzicz's use of color really makes the blond show off nicely. Great picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had same thought, “Manley,” is too perfect. Like Steele, Spear, or Studwell. 😂bns

      Delete
  5. Les divins blondinets.
    Des beaux hommes d’une qualité spéciale qui attire les photographes et leur clientèle :)
    -Beau Mec à Deauville

    ReplyDelete

Close-up: The Sublime Photograph

I like to close each month with a Close-up —a chance to hear your thoughts on a topic that's been rolling around in my head while resea...