Thursday, August 20, 2026

Lattices

Lattices do something slightly different. Instead of one strong line, they create a whole grid—squares, diamonds and crosshatching set against the curves of the male body.


1. Rick Gorden posed under an arched lattice on  the recognizable mountaintop set by Bob Mizer known as Mt. Mizer.




2. Rick Gorden facing away from the camera...umm yes please!




3. Rick Gorden creating a diagonal with his arms. I like the underarm hair in this shot.


Sometimes they're garden architecture, sometimes privacy screens, sometimes archways framing the model. Either way, that rigid geometry makes flesh look even more organic. 



4. Gary Clayson next to the same lattice on Mizer's property.




5. Chris Lee perched on Mizer's min-trampoline in front of two black Lattices.




6. Bill Grant by Pat Milo aka James Patrick from Milo's Los Angeles catalogue from the mid-60's.




7. Unidentified model (though he looks so familiar) posed in front of a lattice by Walter Kundzicz.


This motif isn't nearly as common as ladders or columns, so I've included several shots of Rick Gorden and Brian Jetter. Apparently, once a photographer found a good lattice, he got his money's worth.


8. Brian Jetter by Walter Kundzicz aka Champion Studios.




9. Brian Jetter in a seated pose in front of a lattice by Kundzicz.




10. Brian Dexter posed in front of a lattice wall.


Please leave thoughts, questions, corrections or additions in the comments. Thank you, bns

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I’m tripping but it seems like the men on your posts are becoming hotter. Could it be that as the decades progress, so does the quality of the models? XG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you’re finding them hot. Admittedly, every curator has their biases that they can’t deny completely, and I’m no exception. I don’t organized my posts by decade (usually) so cant say models are getting “hotter”, but you bring up an interesting point about models likely having more competition as laws loosen around this type of work and the commercial side rising in the late 20th century. Great food for thought! But we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder…and you seem to have a good eye😉bns

      Delete

Wrapping Arms

An arm around another man can signal friendship, protection, competition, even a wrestling hold. But whatever the case, it pulls two bodies ...