Monday, August 3, 2026

Long Hair

Long hair became one of the defining visual signatures of physique photography during the late 1960s and into the 1970s. Shoulder-length hair appeared in every shade imaginable—dark brunettes, sun-bleached blondes, fiery redheads, and everything in between.


1. Dick legend, Bill Harrison (1947-1991) aka Big Bill aka Ronnie Shark, was a California native who graduated from BYU in Provo, UT, and was in the theatre scenes in, both, NYC and LA before being cast in Wakefield Poole's groundbreaking gay porn film, Bijou (1972). He helped found Fox Studios in 1973 and founded Sierra Pacific films in 1985, for which he directed such films as The Biggest One I Ever Saw and the award-winning Too Big for His Britches. Harrison died in 1991 of AIDS related complications.




2. Bo Lindstrom in a crouched profile pose.




3. Oscar Navarre standing on a rock with long hair, side-burns, and a mustache.


The style immediately evokes the era. These men could be surfers, hippies, musicians, drifters, or simply young men embracing a generation less interested in conformity than the one before it. Their hair became another expression of freedom.


4. Unknown long-haired model posed on ship set for AMG.




5. Bob Prince posed for Playgirl magazine in the mid-70s.




6. Steve Tracy in a standing pose with arms folded.




7. Barry Centini in a bull-dog pose on a surfboard at the AMG pool.


What fascinates me is how naturally the longer hair coexists with rugged masculinity. Rather than softening these models, the flowing hair often heightens the contrast with muscular physiques, weathered skin, and unapologetically male bodies.


8. Axel Ulman, I am guessing by Bob Mizer.




9. Blue Max Hensley who modeled for AMG and later for this March 1977 issue of Playgirl.




10. Tyler Horn was Playgirl's Man of the Month in June 1977.


Please leave any thoughts, questions, corrections or additions in the comments. Thank you, bns

15 comments:

  1. I’m still partial to short hair. In all of these pics, long hair appears to soften and feminize the men, in spite of having facial hair and muscular bodies. XG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each his own. For me it depends on the man. bns

      Delete
  2. I, too, prefer short hair on guys. Long hair is for girls. It's one way to tell from a distance which is which. There's nothing funnier than saying excuse me to a long-haired beauty in Home Depot only for them to turn around and chuckling reveal themselves to be a guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I did this once as a kid thinking the guy was my mom from behind. Scared the fuck out of me. bns

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I forgot something important: the chuckling turn-around comes after I say "excuse me Ma'am".

      Delete
  3. I thought long hair became a statement of secure masculinity along with wearing pink dress shirts and polos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pink is for three things only. Not dress shirts or polo shirts.

      Delete
    2. What are the three things pink is for? I can only think of two. bns

      Delete
    3. Pussy. Pussies. And breast cancer awareness month. Before I graduated from work, the entire company (including the field trades) wore a pink shirt of some kind.

      Delete
    4. May I ask what line of work you graduated from? bns

      Delete
    5. Got it. Very cool. Thank you. bns

      Delete
  4. Great point. I like that term “secure”. It’s also a cultural norm in some places…and it’s ok for men to be pretty. But to each their own right? bns

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great point. I like that term “secure”. It’s also a cultural norm in some places…and it’s ok for men to be pretty. But to each their own right? bns

    ReplyDelete

Shaggy Hair

Not every model let his hair reach his shoulders. Many settled somewhere in between, wearing what I'd simply call a shaggy cut—hair fall...